Late February Solo in the Hardwoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late February Solo in the Hardwoods

Took my first solo hot tent trip the last week of February. It was the first time I camped near oak, and it was really nice. No sparks and the wood burned long and hot. I had a beautiful couple of days with full sun and only coyotes and owls to serenade me at night. I was able to try out my home made stove reflector which worked perfectly. I also made a light weight ash rake that really came in handy. This was the first time I used a cot, and although I am a hammock camper for the most part, I'm a huge fan of the cot for winter camping. It will replace my chair from now on, and I love that I can store my gear underneath it, allowing tons of room in the tent. All in all an excellent time was had.

Sounds like a nice trip! Nothing like a solo hot tent trip. Is that the new Snowtrekker High Country you picked up? If so I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I had a nice convo with Jonah Lottig about that model a couple weeks back. It's something I'm considering vs their 8x10 shortwall--he mentioned that the higher ridgeline and taller sidewall pullouts give it a roomier feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Henry View Post
      Is that the new Snowtrekker High Country you picked up? If so I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I had a nice convo with Jonah Lottig about that model a couple weeks back. It's something I'm considering vs their 8x10 shortwall--he mentioned that the higher ridgeline and taller sidewall pullouts give it a roomier feel.
      I loved it as a solo tent. Two men with cots and no chairs would also be just fine. I did feel it had more room on the sides than the shortwall did. Ridgeline height felt about the same, but it's hard to tell. At 6 foot I could easily stand up in the middle and plenty of room to hang the lantern and dry things on the ridgeline I strung up.

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Firecraft View Post
        I loved it as a solo tent. Two men with cots and no chairs would also be just fine. I did feel it had more room on the sides than the shortwall did. Ridgeline height felt about the same, but it's hard to tell. At 6 foot I could easily stand up in the middle and plenty of room to hang the lantern and dry things on the ridgeline I strung up.
        That's really helpful--thank you! Encouraging to hear about two cots fitting in there, too. Funny aside, you and I have the same chair. Sadly, mine is relegated to summer and fall trips. It doesn't fit my current setup (Seek Outside Redcliff) due to the sloping walls.

Comment

Thanks for the photos of your trip. I think I may orient my stove to the way you have it set up.

Comment

Working...
          X