• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Coldfeet

• Coldfeet
    replied
    Sorry, Hope plan B,C,D will work out.
    For me, I’m locked in on certain vacation dates and Hope weather works out. I’m going to Tromso Norway in 3 weeks and excited to see the weather in my phone, snow and cold I told my son happily. He said “ dad, we want clear skies to see the northern light”. Oh, I forgot about that. Silly me.
    best wishes. CF

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    At least the plans are already in place for next year providing we can get the flights.

Leave a comment:

• SD_Motak

• SD_Motak
    replied
    Don't know what to say. I was anticipating some photos and a write up from your planned trip. As the old saying goes, "Next year in Jerusalem...".

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    Well so much for all the planning...

The airline we had all booked with has decided to slash it's timetable by 20%, including our flights. They say we will get all our money back sometime but not in the next three weeks. There are no other practical flights to the airport we were aiming for and we could not afford the tickets for another destination before our tickets and other expenses are refunded.

Disappointed does not even begin to describe it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    I cannot wait to get out there and try some of this stuff out.

We should have been there last year but got locked down instead.

Leave a comment:

• Bjorkman

• Bjorkman
    replied
    I just read through all the posts. Man that is a lot of camera equipment! I really like your tarp set up/modification. I can’t wait to see some pictures from your trip.

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    Originally posted by Bjorkman View Post
    Wow that is awesome! “The Wayland Snow Shed” your friends are great. I have not read through the whole thread so someone may have asked this but if the prevailing winds change, ie start coming towards the front does it close up enough to protect you from elements? Thank you for sharing.
    Yes, the awning drops down to close across the front.

The edges aren't sealed but if push comes to shove I carry a roll of gaffa tape with me for quick repairs and that will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• Bjorkman

• Bjorkman
    replied
    After seeing how you have to fly to get on to winter conditions I will be happy I only have to drive a few hours!

Leave a comment:

• Bjorkman

• Bjorkman
    replied
    Wow that is awesome! “The Wayland Snow Shed” your friends are great. I have not read through the whole thread so someone may have asked this but if the prevailing winds change, ie start coming towards the front does it close up enough to protect you from elements? Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    I carry a tripod for Auroral photography and fast glass for night photography doesn't come light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Travel-Photography-R19.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	3025

The battery packs you can see in the background here allow me to run the camera off an umbilical while keeping the cells warm in my clothing but they are a lump of weight too.

Leave a comment:

• Old MukR

• Old MukR
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayland View Post

My first trip up there was done without a stove and I thought I would have problems but didn't really.

Since then I've been on another couple of trips with the same conclusion.

Some of our party are convinced that they will need the stoves and if that suits them then all well and good but they are struggling with the weight allowances.

I will be carrying a lot of photographic equipment that takes up a good deal of my weight allowance so I am quite happy to leave a stove out of the equation.

I've seen people having to dry gear out in hot tents but apart I've not needed to deal with any damp issues. I air out my sleeping kit and boot liners as often as possible but other than that I just manage my clothing so that I do not overheat.
    It is true a stove is not needed if you have proper clothing and sleeping kit- furs/wool, and/or specialized synthetics, and try to keep from overheating as much as possible. I often stress not only wool long underwear, but regular underwear be made of 100% wool as well. Camera kit definitely weighs a bit I did that on one expedition and between camera, charging station, solar panel arrays to recharge, it was ridiculous 😂

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    Originally posted by Old MukR View Post
    Looks awesome I am sure you are excited. I don’t use a stove either. I thought about it a few times, but after having read all the military cold weather experiments, I think (my opinion) stoves are best left to short duration treks.
    My first trip up there was done without a stove and I thought I would have problems but didn't really.

Since then I've been on another couple of trips with the same conclusion.

Some of our party are convinced that they will need the stoves and if that suits them then all well and good but they are struggling with the weight allowances.

I will be carrying a lot of photographic equipment that takes up a good deal of my weight allowance so I am quite happy to leave a stove out of the equation.

I've seen people having to dry gear out in hot tents but apart I've not needed to deal with any damp issues. I air out my sleeping kit and boot liners as often as possible but other than that I just manage my clothing so that I do not overheat.

Leave a comment:

• Old MukR

• Old MukR
    replied
    Looks awesome I am sure you are excited. I don’t use a stove either. I thought about it a few times, but after having read all the military cold weather experiments, I think (my opinion) stoves are best left to short duration treks.

Leave a comment:

• Wayland
    replied
    The design was quite simple. Based upon an 18' x 12' builders tarp.

Name:	Wayland-Shed-Cutting.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2960

Name:	Wayland-Shed-Pitching.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2961

In practice I have found that it can be set up reliably without the support poles in many situations. Just needs the right spread of trees which is usually not too difficult to find.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Duty
    Administrator

• Heavy Duty
    replied
    I dig it! neat design. Looking forward to your trip report.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X