Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to draw on your collective experience and wisdom.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I would like to draw on your collective experience and wisdom.

    Recently I saw an interesting picture on a FB group which made me pause for thought.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	262392990_1281337445665552_5273103256867750413_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=_ZWoePHOe68AX8KUGx3&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=6399631cfa144717e007d5f9fdd5cbe8&oe=61ABC9D0.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	3169

    What caught my eye was the K.tape on the nose and cheeks and I had never seen this idea before.

    My initial thought was that it might have some merit and then I thought about how frost nip is often spotted by observation in a buddy system.

    Such tape would obscure such visual clues leaving it’s detection to the victim and by it’s very nature, frost nip reduces the nervous response to such danger.

    Imagine then that mild frost nip is not detected and progresses on to more serious frost bite.

    You now have very sticky tape adhered to seriously damaged skin and tissue.

    The consequences of that when it comes to treating such frostbite are not something I would like to contemplate.

    I am not adverse to considering new ideas, especially when they arise from such apparently experienced sources, but in my opinion the likely disadvantages seem to far outweigh the possible advantages in this case.

    I wondered what your thoughts might be on the matter?


    Attached Files

  • #2
    I'm wondering if the tape is supposed to protect the skin from wind? If that's the theory, it might help to keep the skin from freezing. Not sure. I'm definitely interested in what others have to say.

    That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

    snapper

    Comment


    • #3
      I am in agreement with Wayland- I don’t see this as a good idea. I generally wear a very high wool neck gaiter and goggles personally.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think I would do it.
        For one it would drive me crazy having tape stuck on my face.
        It seems like it might collect moisture and freeze too. I might be wrong, but flip that hood back and I think it'll ice right over.
        I'd pull a buff up, or wear a face mask if I thought I needed extra protection. But I've only ever covered my face if I was uncomfortable. I've never done it as a frost bite precaution. I suppose I must get uncomfortable first, because I've never had frost bite on my face. Hands and feet, that's the only areas it's ever gotten me.
        I suppose my answer is only a guess and an opinion though, I've never actually tried the tape.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's a new technique to me, but a web search proved that it's actually a thing. It's called FrostTape in Europe and Anti-Freeze Face Tape here in the States. Cross country skiers and downhill racers use it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting... I can't find anything mentioning how easy it is to remove but someone on a FB group reckons it is much lower tack than K.tape which would make sense.

            He also goes on to say that they only use it on solo trips, not when working with a Buddy System.

            Comment


            • #7
              I can see it being useful for high aerobic activities where almost any head covering is too much for your heat output but you still need protection from a cold wind. Also good for competitive sports where you may select clothing for its aerodynamic performance over warmth.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wayland View Post
                Interesting... I can't find anything mentioning how easy it is to remove but someone on a FB group reckons it is much lower tack than K.tape which would make sense.

                He also goes on to say that they only use it on solo trips, not when working with a Buddy System.
                why only on solo trips? I carry a small lexan mirror to check when solotripping, you'd need to go through a couple of dozen a day just replacing them with new ones after every frostbite check.
                it's a lot faster, easier, and far less wasteful to wear a mask or bandanna...

                Comment


                • #9
                  My Yupik friends in Alaska told me once that snow machine racers sometimes use duct tape on facial skin to prevent frost bite. They apparently often don’t wear helmets because they shatter in the extreme cold. They were taking in particular about the 200 mile race out of Nome and back during the Iditarod each year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
                    I can see it being useful for high aerobic activities where almost any head covering is too much for your heat output but you still need protection from a cold wind. Also good for competitive sports where you may select clothing for its aerodynamic performance over warmth.
                    I think that is about the only application I can think of for it as well.



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Scoutergriz View Post

                      why only on solo trips? I carry a small lexan mirror to check when solotripping, you'd need to go through a couple of dozen a day just replacing them with new ones after every frostbite check.
                      it's a lot faster, easier, and far less wasteful to wear a mask or bandanna...
                      I'm of the same mind as you on this one. I can't see me changing my approach any time soon.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X