Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimpac
    replied
    I am narrow minded when it comes to cooking meat. I consider barbecuing to be a waste of good flavour. When I am cooking meat on my wood stove it is either fried or broiled so I do not burn some of the good stuff like barbecuing with flames underneath burning the drippings.
    i do enjoy making my breakfast every morning, burning a bit of small tree branches. In all the years I have tried out different ideas for stoves I may have hit a better combination of draft and baffle because most of the time I am seeing no smoke coming out of the chimney and having a blue flame showing in the fire box.
    When it gets colder and especially when the wind blows it greatly adds to comfort if the outside edge of the tarp is air tight to the ground. The easiest way is to move tie points at the corners in from the edge 10” or 12”. Another way is to use a strip of Velcro on the edge to attach a tarp full floor or a piece of tarp to the edge.

Last edited by chimpac; 10-11-2021, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    A gas burner can be attached to the bottom of the stove shown above. The bottom needs to be cut out but a 1/2” should be left at the rim. This will let you hang a gas burner or lay a floor with grate and ash catcher to burn wood.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied

The stove pictures show the flanges on the. chimney opening in the stove.
    The ash pan.
    The feed chute connection to the stove.
    I use a stainless steel grate but holes can be punched to bring in combustion air and let ashes fall down on the ash pan.
    l have a nephew who went to live in Australia. He has fist fights with kangaroos. He took one of my tarps and stoves with him. Now he is fixing himself a new outfit so I have to tell him about improvements I have made. He can read it here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chimpac; 07-17-2021, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    Feed chute
    Cut from a can the same size as stove a 3.25”x3.25”side piece that includes the rim edge. Use the type of a can opener that does not cut into the rim but leaves the full rim. Make a 1.5” cut next to the rim spaced in the centre.
    Make a 2.25” cut in stove .75” up from the bottom rim. Make equal cuts up .25” from the new cut and bend pieces inward. Make cuts from the new cut in the stove down to the rim spaced to fit a centre portion into the 1.5”cut in the chute. Bend centre portion 1.5” of cuts to 90 degrees and the cuts on each end, that do not fit into the cut in the chute, to 180 degrees. Insert the cuts into the cut in the chute and holding the chute tight and parallel to the bottom of the stove bend the cuts tightly around the rim of the chute. Bend the end cuts up tight to the chute. Chute should be able to swing up to the side of the stove and swing down to hold wood that is fed into the stove.
    This is a complicated instruction if someone more skilled with the English language can fix it please do.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    Lately I have been splitting dry scrap 2”x4” to burn in my little stove. This morning I got an arm full of sticks from trees in the yard.
    Sticks are easier than the heavy duty splitting and burn just as hot. Care has to be taken to choose dry sticks.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    Summer outfit. I use 2 tie points at each corner about 3” from edge and at least 12” apart. I just use a 2” square of plastic bucket taped on at each tie point on the tarp corner.
    At the 2 support points in the peak I tie with masons cord an 8” piece of tent pole in the middle, the line extending outside so it can be tied to an overhead line. The 8” pole piece held in place, parallel with the 2 corner tent pegs, with wide tape. If I have no over head places to tie to I use 4 sections of tent pole 2 attached with a bent piece of wire plugged into each end of the 8” piece taped to the roof, four sections for each person.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chimpac; 07-23-2021, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    I made myself some shorter 2” tapered stove pipe. I have been using 20”now I am trying out 14”. For summer I will use 2 sections with a 8’x10’ tarp with chimney at the side. I will use 3 sections for a larger tent with chimney in the middle.
    I like the new little 5”x5” stove I just made with the new idea simpler baffle. I broil my meat in a kettle hung up under my stove by a wire swinging from holes on both sides of the stove.
    I will post how I make each part if any one is interested.
    Last edited by chimpac; 05-19-2021, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    There is a number of ways of stopping drafts coming into a tarp shelter under the edges next to the ground. It gets more and more important as the wind velocity increases and the outdoor temperature decreases.
    l have started moving my corner tie points 3” or 4” from the edge but it just occurred to me this morning that increasing that to 10” or 12” would be even better. You just need a tarp that is big enough.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied
    This stove is easy to make except the chimney. I make 2 sections of 20” tapered pipe. I could get by with something 7” shorter. Stores stock 3” pipe. I will ship the 2” if anyone wants it.
    The 1.5”x2” connector can be made quickly by bending a 1.75” wide strip of tin can around a little rectangular pattern.The top of the connector is doubled. Then the top and bottom sniped .25”at an angle in the 8 corners so edges can be bent to flanges. The doubled top can be held together by bending the corners at the angled cuts over each other. The top flange is cut 3 times about .25” at the edge spaced to make 3 equal parts and inserted into the chimney opening and bent 90 degrees inside tightly to the inside of the chimney. The same is done at the opening in the stove.

The opening in the stove and pipe is made by marking the outside edge using the 1.5”x 2” pattern. Then marking a concentric line 1/4 “ inside the outside line. Cut on the inside mark all the way around, then at each corner cut diagonally in the corner to the outside mark. At the top and bottom make 3 cuts at equal intervals inside line to outside line. Bend all edges out perpendicular.

The stove will hang on the flanges but it is good to use a wire around chimney and stove to be sure the weight of your dinner does not pull out the connector.
    Last edited by chimpac; 07-19-2021, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chimpac
    started a topic New ideas for cooking under tarp

New ideas for cooking under tarp

New design ideas have come to me this winter, so I think I have the simplest, latest and greatest for any weather cooking under cover.
    This old stove has burned out a baffle and now has a simpler better design baffle that makes wood fire burn cleaner and front of stove hotter.
    2 pegs at each corner 12” or 16” apart and 4” in from edge to keep edge tighter to the ground, makes stronger pitch and more inside corner space.
    Vents can be cut in each side that shut tight. Two strips of oil bucket, one 4”x 8” is stapled (paper) in to shed water. A 3”x 8”
    is stapled lower so it can be on one side or the other to make flap open or closed. I consider these vents important so I can see what the neighbours are doing. I thought they had to be big enough to get a can of bear spray through. Now I like to use them to see through and aim the spray can that I push out under the tarp side. If my hand and the can are low the bear might not bite it off.
    This is a 12’x12’ tarp which will fit in a camper in each corner if poles are used to keep the tarp above the persons head in the corner.
    The lower the centre of the tarp can be kept the higher the sides can be raised to cool off.
    Space for a bivy on all 4 sides.
    Last edited by chimpac; 07-18-2021, 01:20 PM.
Working...
X