New ideas for cooking under tarp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ideas for cooking under tarp

New design ideas have come to me this winter, so I think I have the simplest, latest and greatest for any weather cooking under cover.
    This old stove has burned out a baffle and now has a simpler better design baffle that makes wood fire burn cleaner and front of stove hotter.
    2 pegs at each corner 12” or 16” apart and 4” in from edge to keep edge tighter to the ground, makes stronger pitch and more inside corner space.
    Vents can be cut in each side that shut tight. Picture taken from top. Green strip is put on one side or the other to make flap open or closed.
    This is a 12’x12’ tarp which will fit in a camper in each corner if poles are used to keep the tarp above the persons head in the corner.
    The lower the centre of the tarp can be kept the higher the sides can be raised to cool off.
    Space for a bivy on all 4 sides.
    Last edited by chimpac; 04-16-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

This stove is easy to make except the chimney. I make 2 sections of 20” tapered pipe. I could get by with something 7” shorter. Stores stock 3” pipe. I will ship the 2” if anyone wants it.
      the connector can be made quickly by bending a strip of tin can around a little rectangular pattern then sniped at 8 corners so edges can be bent to flanges. The top of the connector is doubled. It can be muffler cemented, spot welded or kept assembled just by bending little edges.
      Last edited by chimpac; 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

There is a number of ways of stopping drafts coming into a tarp shelter under the edges next to the ground. It gets more and more important as the wind velocity increases and the outdoor temperature decreases.
        l have started moving my corner tie points 3” or 4” from the edge but it just occurred to me this morning that increasing that to 10” or 12” would be even better. You just need a tarp that is big enough.

Comment

I made myself some shorter 2” tapered stove pipe. I have been using 20”now I am trying out 14”. For summer I will use 2 sections with a 8’x10’ tarp with chimney at the side. I will use 3 sections for a larger tent with chimney in the middle.
          I like the new little 5”x5” stove I just made with the new idea simpler baffle. I will post how I make each part if any one is interested.
          Last edited by chimpac; 05-05-2021, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Summer outfit. I have not yet got 2 tie points at each corner about 3” from edge and at least 12” apart. I just use a 2” square of plastic bucket taped on at each tie point on the tarp. I drive a small nail into the end of my support sticks and cut the head off the nail, run the nail into a hole in the middle of 2” plastic square at the support point of the tarp. If I want to use a tie point above my tarp (no inside sticks) I run a short length of good builders snap line through 2 holes in the 2” plastic square at the support point of the tarp. I use the same snap line and two holes in 2” square at the support points at the corners. It just occurred to me that a slightly different tie to an overhead support to eliminate inside poles would be to use a shoe lace pushed in the stick hole and tied to a 2” long stick inside then tied outside to the overhead line.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by chimpac; 05-13-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Lately I have been splitting dry scrap 2”x4” to burn in my little stove. This morning I got an arm full of sticks from trees in the yard.
              Sticks are easier than the heavy duty splitting and burn just as hot. Care has to be taken to choose dry sticks.

Comment

Working...
              X