Seek Outside Stove Snow Float Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seek Outside Stove Snow Float Mod

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201228_160303.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.12 MB ID:	1992

Made some lightweight cross bars to help the stove not tip and sink into the ground. I use this with a couple of logs underneath for snow and ice floating.

I made this out of .13" wall 1" x 1" x 18" long square aluminum tubing. I used a bandsaw and cut it down the middle to create two 1" C-channels. Drilled 4 holes at the same width of the wood stove legs and installed stainless rivet nuts (intentionally backwards). I also quickly drilled a few lightening holes, because, why not?

Simple solution that makes using this stove a bit safer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210119_214506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.01 MB ID:	1993Click image for larger version  Name:	20210119_214521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.29 MB ID:	1994

Nice modification. Simple, too the point and it works! What more could you ask for? Thanks for sharing your idea. I've been thinking of using a large baking sheet under my SO stove for the same reason. If I drill four holes in the baking sheet I'll be able to attach the sheet directly to the stove legs. Your idea seems better as the stabilizers won't take up as much room as a baking sheet will.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Looks like a great idea.
      Wonder if there would be a way to use logs as the cross pieces, use an ice screw or wood auger to make holes for the legs or a pair of rings that screw on to the legs that logs could be slid through?

Comment

Originally posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
        Looks like a great idea.
        Wonder if there would be a way to use logs as the cross pieces, use an ice screw or wood auger to make holes for the legs or a pair of rings that screw on to the legs that logs could be slid through?
        I have tried balancing the stove on logs prior to making these, its somewhat difficult but it can be done. I put tension on my stove pipe, if the stove were to shift or fall of the log without a cross bar would tip the stove over and the stove pipe would pop off. That's why the cross bars are wider than the stove. The addition of a couple ounces outweighs the risk of a tent fire.

But, there are many ways to skin this cat, this is just one solution.

I should note that these cross bars make the assembly of the stove much quicker.

Comment

Nice mod, I am using 1/8 plywood covered with fireblanket and aluminum flashing on top.
          My tent is with floor

Comment

I have always just used logs to set my SO stove on. I always use logs at least 4' long so any melt around the stove does not affect the logs sitting on the snow. I'll even notch out the logs to set the legs into.
            Only issue I have with using metal is you still have to float it on logs though certainly will be more stable.
            Great to see the creativity to meet your needs ....that's what it is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkrgi View Post
              I have always just used logs to set my SO stove on. I always use logs at least 4' long so any melt around the stove does not affect the logs sitting on the snow. I'll even notch out the logs to set the legs into.
              Only issue I have with using metal is you still have to float it on logs though certainly will be more stable.
              Great to see the creativity to meet your needs ....that's what it is all about.
              Thanks, oh yea I still fully intend to use logs for flotation. Too sketchy for me to balance a log under the legs without a cross bar. It would mean a tent fire in my tent if my stove tipped over.

Comment

my legs are 3/4 conduit, and I stopped all melting by cutting out 2" in the middle of each leg and replaced it with dowelling to create a thermal break- the bottom half is now at ground temperature.

Comment

This is a great idea.

I did a simple mod. Took a 1 x 48" x 1/8" aluminum trim from HD (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pau...lat/1000170186). The 1/4" holes are 11.5" apart.

It sits nicely on the kevlar cloth, but can easily just tie to a couple of logs on the bottom. I may not bring the kevlar sheet (becoming one of those weight guys maybe?), may just use the logs on the bottom.

Thanks gents, this is a great idea. Appreciate the help.

M

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210222_005645594.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	2256

Comment

Working...
                  X