Lets talk socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All,
    I'm new to the Symposium website. I'm an experienced, all-season, backpack hiker/camper. As I'm looking over the forum, I noticed this request for advice about socks.
    At the risk of stirring controversy and hateful/vitriolic retorts (most of which usually come from folks parroting hearsay and lacking first-hand experience) I'm going to weigh in on the sock question:
    Over many years I've used almost every brand of outdoor sock, synthetic and wool, including burly mountaineering knee socks with knickers from Germany/Austria. After a few hours, they all become damp with perspiration, and often become wet from wet conditions. Once damp/wet, they contribute to my feet being cold, no matter how thick or what type of boot (it was aggravated when I was foolish enough to drink the Gore-Tex kool aid. I now no longer own/use anything with Gore-Tex.) What I now use exclusively for any extended outing (except in hottest summers when having wet feet isn't a big issue) are Lamilite socks from a company called Wiggy's (here's the link: .https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/socks-liners-booties/ ). These are durable, don't absorb moisture, dry very quickly, and keep your feet warm, even if your boots are soaked and your feet are wet from infiltrating water. With these Wiggy's Lamilite socks, you only need one pair on an outing. They'll hold up, hold shape, and dry overnight, either in your sleeping bag or hung up in a heated tent.
    I know there are some die-hard Wiggy's haters on most forums (as I said, many just parroting hearsay). I merely suggest being open-minded and after you've admitted that wool socks have deficiencies, give Wiggy's a try for yourself.

Comment

Worn out a LOT of socks searching for the best over the past decades. Finally found the best sock for longevity- Darn Tough ‘Tactical T4050’ model. I believe it has the highest wool content that Darn Tough makes (79%). Could not wear my first several pairs out, so after 4 years total I just exchanged them for new pairs. I cannot recommend them enough, they are practically indestructable and quite comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piolet View Post
        .... At the risk of stirring controversy and hateful/vitriolic retorts (most of which usually come from folks parroting hearsay and lacking first-hand experience) I'm going to weigh in on the sock question:
        Over many years I've used almost every brand of outdoor sock, synthetic and wool, including burly mountaineering knee socks with knickers from Germany/Austria. After a few hours, they all become damp with perspiration, and often become wet from wet conditions. Once damp/wet, they contribute to my feet being cold, no matter how thick or what type of boot (it was aggravated when I was foolish enough to drink the Gore-Tex kool aid. I now no longer own/use anything with Gore-Tex.) What I now use exclusively for any extended outing (except in hottest summers when having wet feet isn't a big issue) are Lamilite socks from a company called Wiggy's (here's the link: .https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/socks-liners-booties/ ). These are durable, don't absorb moisture, dry very quickly, and keep your feet warm, even if your boots are soaked and your feet are wet from infiltrating water. With these Wiggy's Lamilite socks, you only need one pair on an outing. They'll hold up, hold shape, and dry overnight, either in your sleeping bag or hung up in a heated tent.
        I know there are some die-hard Wiggy's haters on most forums (as I said, many just parroting hearsay). I merely suggest being open-minded and after you've admitted that wool socks have deficiencies, give Wiggy's a try for yourself.
        Hi! Good post. After looking at some of the posts on this site to check maturity level, I joined myself. Most of those who are seasoned have gone through the same with socks, brands, types etc. I wear Darn Tough because they last, but I do know about Jerry’s lamilite socks and will be getting a pair at some point to use for certain times. I like Wiggy’s, and am a very experienced outdoorsman myself. I have noticed that there is a love or hate situation with the man and his products- the experienced will look past this and make an educated judgement for themselves. Wiggy’s sleeping bags got a great reputation with the military several decades ago, and as such, when the military wants something new, they call up Jerry. See the modern US Military MSS- designed after Wiggy’s for sure, just looking at it, it has Jerry’s name all over it. I am mostly attracted to Wiggy’s antarctic bag, but though I want one I have never clicked to purchase. Back to socks, that is one bit of clothing I think all outdoors enthusiasts are passionate about 🙂

Comment

Working...
        X