Mukluks vs Pack Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mukluks vs Pack Boots

I see that it's pretty split for many that winter camp why do you choose mukluks or pack boots over the other?

Steger Mukluks all the way. In dry cold weather I know of no better boot! I pack an extra pair of liners with me to rotate while I'm out and about. They work great.

Comment

I made my own winter mukluks and prefer them to pack boots, warmer and more comfortable. Bison lowers with canvas uppers and coyote trim. Very warm and extra points for style.

Comment

Mukluks for me if the weather permits. Carrying multiple liners is key. Perfect in cold conditions, and so comfortable.
        Slush, well thats another story......

LL

Comment

I'm a big proponent of mukluks and/or winter mocs. I'm on my second pair of Steger Mukluks and really enjoy wearing them. Heck, I make excuses to wear them when I can. The winter mocs I made myself and use an inner wool felt bootie for the insulating layer; the moc is made from moosehide with deerskin uppers instead of canvas.

That said, if I know the conditions are going to be wet & sloppy, I'll pull out my old Sorels and use them instead. For the most part though my Sorels are now relegated to doing outdoor chores around the house; shoveling, hauling wood in for the stove, etc. They're easy to slide in to and out of so they certainly have their place.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

Packs when it’s likely to get damp, and mukluks in the dry cold. My tattered Steger’s have seen several hundred miles every winter over the last several lustrum,,, my pack boots are of an equal age and look all but new...

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis View Post
              Packs when it’s likely to get damp, and mukluks in the dry cold. My tattered Steger’s have seen several hundred miles every winter over the last several lustrum,,, my pack boots are of an equal age and look all but new...
              +1 This exactly.

Cheers

Brian

Comment

Muks for me (😊kinda), but I keep a pair of NEOS on hand with matching liners and insoles.

Comment

If it weren’t for my mukluks, I’d have no luk at all!
                  I’ll wear my mukluks until I finish my homemade pak-boots.

Comment

I'm definitely all for mukluks/winter moccasins. Tons of advantages. As others have said, extra liners/socks/whatever layers you choose are important, but the 'mukluk' itself is so thin and light that it dries rapidly in the peak of a hot tent (or near a fire).

For wet stuff I don't use pac boots, but always carry a pair of rubber overshoes, sized to fit my regular 'mukluk' insulation layers minus one duffle liner. They seem thin and like they won't stand up... but I'm still on pair #1 three years later after *heavy* use (they are what I use in a maple sugar bush, so they get a wild beating there too).
                    Their advantages are:
                    - can fold them up to a tiny size for storage
                    - very light weight on the feet (think a rubber version of a 'mukluk')
                    - totally waterproof
                    - not brittle in deep cold
                    - inexpensive
                    - allow the use of same insulation layers as 'mukluks'

Cons:
                    - maybe less durable than a thicker soled boot? See comment above.
                    - does not let moisture from foot pass through (I've never had a damp-feeling foot after a solid 12 hour day, but the outer layers of insulation do get moist). Any rubber/waterproof footwear suffers from this though...

My thoughts, anyway!

Comment

Like what has been mentioned already, it depends on the weather. If it is forecasted to be below 15 degrees fahrenheit (-9 c) I will primarily use my moose lower/canvas upper muckluks. Lightweight, breathable, and roomy keep my feet warm.

In weather warmer then that, especially if it is sunny, I will bust out my waterproof Muck Boots.

Comment

I've never used Mukluks, I always seem to find water, even at -30F.
                        I wear Muck Boots, but I prefer Tingley type overshoes with a felt insole and liner, but It's getting hard to find them with a flat sole, they all have a heel molded in them it seems.
                        I bought Neos, which I like a lot, but they are so damn noisy, crinkle, crunch, swish, swish........... they drive me nuts.

Comment

Working...
                        X