Lampwick Bindings Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    4estTrekker, how is the ladder lock working out? Is there any functional difference between Lampwick and cotton webbing? I have also found hemp webbing looks a good product. Is 3/4” better or worse than 1”? I’d like to add these to my web store but want to stock the right stuff.
    They’ve worked out great so far. I think the lampwick has a softer hand than most of the cotton webbing I’ve come across, but I could be dead wrong. I’ve found that I only prefer them on flat(ish) terrain, though. I tried to tackle some hills last season and got dumped a few times. 🤣 Could just be my technique, though.

Comment

Originally posted by 4est Trekker View Post

They’ve worked out great so far. I think the lampwick has a softer hand than most of the cotton webbing I’ve come across, but I could be dead wrong. I’ve found that I only prefer them on flat(ish) terrain, though. I tried to tackle some hills last season and got dumped a few times. 🤣 Could just be my technique, though.
      webbing, even cotton is woven to maintain it's shape and repel dirt so has a stiff, tight weave, lampwick is a far looser weave because that's what allows it to wick best. Hemp breaks down fast, is far weaker than the other alternatives, and mice love to chew it. I've never used it on snowshoes other than to wrap the toe-bar for traction. I personally prefer mule tape (soft kevlar, not the hard fiberglass stuff) over lampwick because it's rot proof, strong enough to swing from, has an extremely soft "hand",doesn't ice up as much and holds knots well.
      sounds like technique 4est Trekker, on steep hills I find you need to herringbone your way up with poles, or, if really steep, sidestep. Wrapping the toe-bar with some SYR (sh**** yellow rope), sisal, or hemp helps too because it provides some grip, but just like modern shoes, it can develop snowballs if the snow is wet or sticky.

Comment

Working...
      X