Winter Sleeping pad choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Sleeping pad choice?

What's your sleeping pad of choice when sleeping on the ground/snow? I've had good luck so far with my Thermarest Mondo King XXL but that thing is huge. I believe it's an R value of 11.4 and I have no issues being cold at night.

I bought a Exped Downmat 7 . It has an R value of 5.8 on its own, but in deep winter I pair it with a Thermarest Zlite that gets the setup to about R8. Thats worked for me down to -20F with a good bag. I also like that setup because it packs down small and I can use the Thermarest around camp as a sitpad, platform, etc.

Comment

I also use Exped for my sleep systems. I have a Downmat 9 and a Synmat 7. The Synmat was cheaper, packs smaller, and is lighter weight. I notice no difference in warmth over the Downmat9. I also use a zrest condensed foam pad underneath. I been comfortable down to -35f.

LL

Comment

I've used a Ridgerest under a regular Thermarest in the past, but I bought a Downmat 9 for next season. I'll probably still use the Ridgerest underneath, but I am super excited about the extra width of the LW size that I got! I've slept on 20" wide mats for years and I am fed up with 'em. I just don't understand why they even make the darn things... who can even use them?! I am not a big dude but the 20" are too dang narrow, even for me! The extra weight of a 25" mat will totally be worth it.

Comment

Downmat 9 for me, too. I made a slip cover for it that has army wool blanket material on top and lightweight ripstop on the bottom. We also use reflectix as a tent floor.

Comment

I use a ridgerest under my prolite 4. Its over kill but comfortable.

Comment

Exped Downmat L9 with Thermarest. I did use a Synmat with the Ridgerest on top if it. That was surprisingly effective.
              Last edited by empirecanvas; 07-01-2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I am happy with mondo king

Comment

My usual choice for the winter is a RidgeRest "Z-lite" (one of those folding sectional pads) under my Therma-Rest "Pro-lite 4" pad. I'm a warm sleeper so this works well for me even in below 0 F temperatures.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

ExPed Downmat 9 deluxe with 1/2" closed cell pad under that. Never been cold
                    Dan Cooke
                    Have Great Adventures!

Comment

Been very happy with the Thermarest XTherm. I usually put a foam pad underneath, just for back up, in case of punctures, but it has always been fine. I sometimes wish I had bought the long wide, but I'm mostly a side sleeper so it's not usually an issue. For back sleeping I roll up my pants and jacket and lay them either side of the pad, gives my arms somewhere to rest if the fall off the pad.

Comment

Working...
                      X