No announcement yet.

Big Knive or Axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been strictly an axe guy for splitting wood for the past 5 years, but Heavy Duty's post got me thinking. I had a Hudson Bay Camp knife made out of 3v. While it doesn't meet the criteria of the post at 9.75 inch blade length, it split dry oak with knots remarkably well. I wouldn't choose it over an axe outside, but in the tent it was a controlled, safe way to split wood.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Baton 1 (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	3883

Name:	Baton 3 (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	3884

Name:	Baton 4 (1).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	3885

Comment

axe or hatchet, I've seen far too many knives wrecked by batonning.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoutergriz View Post
        axe or hatchet, I've seen far too many knives wrecked by batonning.
        I agree. That is also why so many makers of knives with lifetime warranties make them 1/4 thick with a 25 degree bevel. Historically the Hudson Bay Camp knife replaced the hatchet or axe for those where weight was an issue. It was usually 1/4 inch or thicker and 2 inches in height. Since I was using 3v I had it made at 3/16 inch full flat grind. This knife was specifically designed to be used chopping and batoning.

Name:	Hudson Bay.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	3888

Comment

• Scoutergriz
          Scoutergriz commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not just the blade thickness though, I've seen handles become dangerously loose, even in knives with peened steel rivets

Very true. I have spoke with knife makers who specifically said their knives were not designed to be batoned. My blade has epoxied canvas slabs with 5 stainless steal pins. The maker designed for such purposes. Nothing is certain though, and I could certainly break the blade at the full tang as well. I have also seen many a broken axe handles

Comment

I like a boys axe on the trail. I even use it at home to process kindling to feed the wood stove. When I was a kid I used to love watching my dad knock out cedar shakes with a froe and mallet. I have no doubt your new camp knife is up for the task. Great looking knife btw--the FFG gives it a more contemporary look but it's still true to its roots. Handle looks comfortable too.

The only reason I've shied away from carrying a big knife on the trail is that I love the combination of my axe, saw, leatherman, and mora companion. Maybe I'll leave the axe at home next day trip and see what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Henry View Post
            Maybe I'll leave the axe at home next day trip and see what I think.
            Just to be clear I'm an axe guy through and through. This post just prompted me to try a big blade in the tent after all the work was done. It was a fun little diversion and worked well enough for small logs into kindling or splitting once, but it would never purposefully replace my axe!

Comment

nice Midwest Firecraft thats a beautiful blade. Big blades do have their place. Many times an axe is the ticket.

FWIW ive been beating the tar out of my RTAK-II for years, still working well.

Comment

Another advantage to the big knife for me is, my tent has a fairly low ceiling near the stove. If I decide I need to split anything inside, it would be pretty easy to have a newly installed skylight swinging a hatchet and guaranteed swinging an axe.

Comment

Working...
                X