No announcement yet.

Favorite Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using the Agawa Canyon Boreal 21 plus Silky Big Boy 2000 plus the Kantanaboy 650....beyond this combo it is chainsaw time.

Comment

I have the Boreal 21 plus and all the bob quick buck saws. They've worked well for me. Car camping I've started to cheat a bit and use my milwaukee cordless sawzall with a carbide pruning blade.

Chainsaw is always an option for me as well....unless I have to carry it far.

Comment

I sure do like my Dustrude saw. I have a Katana Boy, but will grab the Dustrude more often.
        Very likely the best quick bow saw you can find--made by Bob Dustrude, and built to last

Comment

Originally posted by brianw View Post
          My favourite saw is a coarse cut carpenters handsaw. Specifically the Irwin Marathon ProTouch. I have it in 24" currently, but I started out with the 20" version. I like it for the reason, that it is one piece, blade is not under tension, cuts reasonably straight, affordable and generally available at most big box home improvement stores or the local hardware store.

Cheers

Brian
          Yep, this is what I use as well, just in the 15" version. And also for what you mention about the one piece, no tension. I like the fact there are no little bits and screws that I can potentially loose.

Comment

Adventuresworn Bucksaw is what I use. My son has the Boreal 21 and it is a great saw but the grip is a bit large for my hand.

Comment

I have always carried just a little Bahco Laplander for personal use, but I am going to purchase an Esker bucksaw for bigger stuff.

Comment

I've got a couple of folding saws, but generally I just carry my 24 or 36" bow saw and a spare blade now, I made sheaths out of some 1/8 maple plywood and a generic extension spring- you cut 2 pieces about 1/2" short of the length between the pins and about 2" wide, cut a third piece the same but only 3/4" wide and glue it up between them to form the slot. then drill a small hole in the center 3/8" up from the bottom, insert 1 end of the spring there and bend it over, the other end is bent into a loop to snap around the bow of the saw, I then paint them bright fire engine red for visibility.
                It rides on the sled under my gear or on top of my wannigan if clearing trail. I also wrap the grip areas with hockey tape in case i'm not wearing gloves when I need it.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Saw-Point.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.0 KB ID:	3265

I've moved over to an Irwin saw that I can use for cutting snow blocks.

Replaced my heavy old snow saw and the Laplander I used for small wood prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Duty View Post
                    I really like my modified Bob Dustrude 30" saw. I must admit I have the 21" and the 24" as well.
                    Hey HD, can you please share what mods do you have

Comment

Originally posted by kiggy View Post

Hey HD, can you please share what mods do you have
                      Sure!

on the 30" saw I've welded a bead of aluminum to add surface area where the steel blade gets pushed into the aluminum. This is the wear point for the saw. With long term use, the blade will become slack and not have proper tension due to the slot getting longer. I've been working on a stainless steel insert to aid in durability, still some tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                      X